Hi! Happy Holidays! We’re in southern France. Oh, we are enjoying the warmth, seeing family and vacationing but, wanted to pop in for a quick hello! We missed the trick-or-treating traditional Witches, (here) but, before leaving Stockholm, we did have a lot of fun getting our house ready for Easter and spreading Spring wishes.
In addition to Bunny Cupcakes (here
,) these meringue bunnies hopped onto our parties. What Winter was for snowmen (here
,) Spring brought Bunnies!
Meringues are actually quite easy to make, yet, seem to elevate the everyday. I appreciate, too, that all of the work can be done at once, ahead of time — and are great for worry free parties: they’re gluten, fat and nut free. No worries.
Sending sweet bunny wishes your way! If you’re looking for other Easter makings, I hope you take the time to search willowday for more. We have a whole lot more Easter here for you.
1/2 cup egg whites (4-6 egg whites)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fine white sugar*
Brown Food Coloring (or melted chocolate)
- Pastry Bag with wide, round tipPreheat the oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C).
- Line 2 cookie sheets with baking paper or aluminum foil.
- Whip egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla.
- Continue whipping until the whites hold soft peaks.
- Gradually sprinkle in the sugar and continue whipping until the mixture holds stiff shiny peaks.
- Continue to whip for 6 minutes.
- Place a round tip into a pastry bag.
- Fill pastry bag with meringue.
- To begin, start by piping a circle on the parchment and filling it in with meringue to make a macaron shaped disk.
- Pull the bag off to the side to avoid making peaks on the top.
- If you have peaks on top, immediately smooth this down by smoothing a knife (or finger) dipped in water.
- Carefully pipe two ears off the top of the circle for the bunny ears.
- Dip the end of the wood skewer into the dark brown food coloring to make the eyes, nose and whiskers.
- (If you would prefer to make these details with chocolate, skip this step and add the chocolate after baking by drawing the features on with chocolate.)
- Bake for 90-120 minutes or until the snowmen are dry enough to easily remove from the cookie sheets. Set aside to cool completely.Store at room temperature in a dry place or tin.*These can be made with regular sugar but, if you can use super fine sugar, they are exceptionally silky and smooth.
- Something you might like:
- Meringue Snowmen
- Bunny Cupcakes
Something you might be interested in: